Composition Activity Resources
Links to resources (project descriptions, scores, recordings, videos, etc.) used for various composing, analysis and listening activities will be posted on this page.
The Orchestra: A Users Manual - Excellent online orchestration resource from composer/musicologist Andrew Hugill. Lots of information here.
Instrument Ranges handout - Brief/simple. This is no substitute for an orchestration book or website!
Alfred Music (publisher) School Band & Orchestra Parameters - Instrumentation, ranges and more regarding Alfred Music's graded band and orchestra (string and full) series.
Pedal Point Explained, with Examples - Music theory's gift to composers at all levels!
Cantus Firmus in the 20th-Century - Examples of how this centuries-old technique is still being used!
- Nun Danket Alle by Karg-Elert
- Passacaglia (Homage on B-A-C-H) by Ron Nelson
- folder with examples/media
Sonata Allegro Form - Analysis of Franz Josef Haydn's Piano Sonata No. 37 in D Major, movement 1.
Musical Offering, by J.S. Bach - A fascinating tale!
A look at some deft orchestrations of music originally written for piano. Most of these orchestrations are by the composer.
- Pictures at an Exhibition, Mussorgsky (see above)
- "Nimrod," from Enigma Variations, Elgar (arr. Elgar, also below) - This folder includes piano and orchestral scores.
- Le Tombeau de Couperin, Maurice Ravel (arr. Ravel) - The wikipedia article on this piece has good background information and recordings of the original piano suite movements.
- Mid-Winter Songs, Morten Lauridsen (arr. Lauridsen)
- Gabriel Faure, Pavane (Op. 50) - PDF orchestra score; orchestra video performance; Faure plays Pavane (piano roll!)